IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Use Tofu to Substitute for Evaporated Milk

How do I substitute for evaporated milk when making a nondairy pie? I get this question a lot, and I have no good answer. There's just no direct nondairy milk substitute for evaporated milk.

Here's a possible workaround, though. Bev Shaffer in the Cleveland Plain Dealer uses tofu as a replacement for milk in a pumpkin pie recipe. The tofu recommended is the boxed, silken variety, not the refrigerated tofu.

Ingredients:

18 oz silken extra firm tofu (Shaffer mentions the Mori-Nu brand, but other brands should work)
2 cups canned pumpkin
2/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice*

*If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own by combining 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, ¾ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon ground cloves.

Unbaked 9 in pie crust


Directions:

Heat oven to 350ยบ.

Drain the tofu and then blend it, using a food processor, until it is smooth.

Move the smooth tofu to a mixing bowl and add the pumpkin, honey, vanilla, and spice. Stir until well mixed.

Spoon the mixture into the pie crust.

Bake about 1 hour. The filling will still be soft at the end of that time, but it will firm as it cools.

Let stand for 15 minutes on wire cooking rack, then put into refrigerator to chill.


Let me know how it works out!

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel better then I have in Years.

Anonymous said...

I go to Canada every summer and buy Lactaid drops. I use them to treat mostly sweetened condensed milk for my husband's favorites: German Chocolate Cake with coconut frosting and Seven Layer bars (the ones you drizzle sweetened condensed milk over before baking). The drops work fine to break down the lactose if I drip them into the milk about 24 hours before baking with it. The good thing is that I live in Minnesota, so I don't have as far as some to go to get to Canada. The bad news is it's sometimes hard to find the drops in the border town grocery or drug stores.