IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Soy Milk for Dairy Free Yorkshire Pudding

I'm always baffled about how substitutes work in recipes, and let's face it, most people - even cooks - haven't tried most substitutes in most recipes so they won't know either.

Gholam Rahman's food column at PalmBeachPost.com takes a stab at an unusual recipe request. I think she comes through okay, but I thought I'd repeat it here to see what people think.

Question: My niece is allergic to dairy products. Can I make Yorkshire pudding without milk, substituting maybe chicken broth? Thanks for your help. — Ann G., via e-mail

Answer: Originating in the Yorkshire region in the north of England, the pudding was originally made in the fat drippings from a roast beef and then served with gravy as part of the roast beef dinner. Mostly crust, it is raised by steam and eggs in a very hot oven, much like its American cousin, the popover.

Although milk plays a part in the puffing up of the batter, I don't think its role is critical. But there are better choices than chicken broth. I don't know if lactose intolerance is the cause of your niece's problem with dairy. If so, you can most likely use lactose-free milk, of which some brands are 100 percent free of lactose. These are real milk and will act just like milk although they are fat-free. You will have enough fat anyway in a Yorkshire pudding recipe. Otherwise, soy milk should also work in your recipe. Check with her doctor first, though.

When you tinker with a recipe, it is a good idea to follow the rest of the instructions carefully. Measure the ingredients accurately; preheat the oven to the desired degree, hot in this case and generally 425°; beat the batter smoothly and allow it to rest for a while, beating again to take any lumps out; and don't open the oven in the middle of baking or they likely will fall.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: