IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Monday, February 18, 2008

LäraBar, Gluten and Dairy-Free Energy Bars

Sarah Musgrave burbles ecstatically in the Montreal Gazette about an energy bar called the LäraBar, an dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, kosher, energy bar with crunchy umlaut goodness.



The taste: I've avoided health bars ever since realizing the sesame snaps I was given as a child weren't really candy bars. But Larabar's lemon bar won me over; it's sweet, lively with citrus and there's a lot more chew than crunch.

The story: I first tried this snack in 2004, in Colorado, where the brand was founded, and instantly appreciated the flavour. Upon reading the ingredients, I was even more impressed: dates, cashews, almonds, lemon concentrate, and that's about it. It's uncooked, it's unsweetened, it's gluten-free, it's dairy-free, it's soy-free, it's vegan, it's kosher - sum it up as sinless.

LäraBars come in umpteen flavors and also have a chocolate bar counterpart, Jŏcalat.




Both bars are available in the U.S. as well as Canada and in many other countries, as a store locator on their website will reveal if you have the patience to go through it.

The website has one of the most evil Flash animation interfaces I've had the misfortune to encounter. Designers who perpetrate these atrocities should be strapped down in front an old Atari and forced to watch Frogger until their eyes bleed.

I found information for LäraBar and Jŏcalat on the Delicious Organics shopping site, where the have the old-fashioned idea of allowing you to see the product and read the text simultaneously.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: