IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Strengths and Weaknesses of Milk Alternatives

I admit that when this article first appeared my eyes glazed over it because I didn't think it had enough new information. But I keep seeing it reprinted in paper after paper, so I'm going to defer to the collective judgments of the newspaper editors of America.

The original article, Giving up milk? Try these instead was a Julie Deardorff column that appeared in the March 29, 2009 Chicago Tribune. She examines the strengths and weaknesses of soy, almond, coconut, hemp, oat, and rice "milks" as well as goat milk.

The whole article is not long enough to do justice to seven types of products, any of which can have large amounts of variation within the group. And she repeats the nonsense that goat milk is "often suitable for those with lactose intolerance." No, it's not. It's sometimes suitable for those with cow's milk protein allergies, but never for those with lactose intolerance. That's the major season I didn't post about it in the first place.

However, if it's getting this much attention far better for me to point out the nonsense and make sure you're aware of it. The rest of the article seems sounder on the facts and may help point some of you toward different alternatives.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: