IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Lactase Drops: A New Crisis?

Remember how excited I was when I was able to announce just two years ago Huge News! Lactase Drops Return to U.S. In that post I talked about Pharmax Liquid Lactase, a company from Washington, that was making lactase and distributing in the U.S.

Oops. If you go to search for the drops on Amazon you see this:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

If you go to any other site that lists Pharmax lactase drops you'll see an equivalent disclaimer, saying that it is "backordered" or "out of stock."

I can't find any information on why this should be, although I do see at the Pharmax LLC site that in
May 2009, Pharmax LLC, previously owned by Dr Nigel Plummer, was acquired by Seroyal USA Inc. The merger has brought together three strong and functionally distinct brands, Pharmax, Genestra and Unda.

I don't know whether the parent company decided to stop selling the drops or this is just a temporary production problem. Pharmax had one of those but then resumed making the drops.

What if they don't?

For Americans, the best bet is to get them from Canada. Both Lactaid and Lacteeze brands can easily be found from a number of sellers by doing a search on lactase drops. Lots of people bought them from Canada before they popped up in the U.S. again and I guess we can go back to the old ways if necessary.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: